Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my blog, I am just learning about doing a blog through the Fibre Arts Group that I belong to, so I don't have very much on here at this time, but hopefully that will all change as I learn more about blogging and have some extra time to sit and type. If you are interested in joining the Learning Fibre Arts group just go to the group site and sign up, I promise you won't regret it.
There is always something exciting going on in this group, there are lots of different classes you can sign up for. I'm sorry to say that I haven't had the time to take a lot of the classes, but when I do have some extra time that's what I plan on doing. This is just one of the many internet groups that I belong to, and through my journey I will talk some more about these groups.

In October 2002 I took my very first quilting class, and I loved it, and haven't looked back since. I never learned how to sew until I was in high school and taking Home Ec classes, we had to take sewing, so I made the usual things, pj's an apron, but the biggest project for me was a pantsuit, which I still have to this day.... of course it doesn't fit me anymore, too bad cause it might be back in style at some point, this was in the early 70's, and as so many young women do when they leave school I never took up sewing again.
When I got married and had my first baby girl and when she was older I thought I would try and make her a dress, well, I made the dress and all I had to do was finish it off and do some hand sewing and hemming, and put buttons on it, well for some reason that dress never did get finished. My Grandmother was a sewer and a crocheter and she made tons of Barbie Clothes for my sister and I, some were crocheted, and some were hand sewn. She was a excellent crocheter, she made thousands of doilies and I'm sure each one of her Grandchildren and probably Great Grandchildren have a few of her doilies stashed away in there dresser drawer, I know I have a number of them myself. When she passed away and Mom went to the nursing home to clean out her room, she found lots of doilies that Grama had made, that woman crocheted almost right up until she passed away, at the age of 91

As for quilting, there was no one in my family that quilted, except for my Great, Great Grandmother Spence, and my Great Grandmother Boylan, so I wasn't brought up with quilters, both my great great Grama and great Grama passed away when I was a young child, so I don't really remember either one of them. So therefore I didn't really have any exposure to quilting until I got married, my mother-in-law was and still is a quilter, and she tried a few times to get me interested in quilting, but I was never really was interested in it, until a number of years later, when my kids were older and pretty much finished school.
I was at my mother-in-laws house one afternoon, and Auntie Glenna came to visit her and show her the quilt she had made for her Grandaughter, well, that quilt was so beautiful, and it really sparked my interest. So that's when I decided that I would like to learn how to quilt. So I told my hubby that I wanted to learn how to quilt and I needed a sewing machine, so the next time we went to the city we went to Sears and looked at some sewing machines, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a machine, just in case I didn't like quilting, that way I wouldn't feel really bad if the machine sat unused.
So we bought a machine that didn't have a lot of options on it, and that was fine with me for the time being, I also went to Fabric Land and bought some fabric and some remnants, and the necessary quilting supplies, a few days later I went on the internet and found some easy free patterns, and off I went to try my hand at applique, it went pretty good, and I made it into a pillow with ruffles even. I even figured out how to put a zipper in my pillow, with the help of a sewing book that I had laying around. So this is the very first thing I made when I decided to take up quilting, my colour choices aren't the greatest, but it's a start.
Well I'm sorry, that's all the time I have for now, I've got a lot of work to get caught up on today, so come back again and read some more about my "quilting Journey."

No comments:

Post a Comment