My hubbie and I plant a big garden every year, over 100 hills of potatoes, lots of carrots, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes etc. We have 4 apple trees 2 plum trees and 10 Saskatoon's bushes and a ton of chokecherry trees in our yard, so there is always something that needs watering or weeding or picking.
Living in a small town with vacant lots some homeowners have more than one lot, we have 2 lots, our house sits one, and our driveway and garden is on the other lot, before our neighbor and my gardening buddy passed away from cancer 3 years ago, he told us we could use his garden since his wife won't use it, as she doesn't like to garden, so we plant our potatoes on her lot. We also cut her grass and help with her yard and house maintenance, when she needs help with anything.
Every year we wonder why we plant this big garden, but when you can go out and pick the fresh produce out of your own garden, it is so worth it in the end. Whenever we go to visit my parents I always take them some potatoes and carrots and whatever else is ready in the garden, my mom is 86 and my dad is 90, so it's pretty hard for them to have a garden, but every year my dad tries and does plant something, as it gives him something to do.
This year I didn't make any chokecherry jelly or salsa or spaghetti sauce because my daughter and I made so much of it last year, and we didn't need anymore this year yet. I did freeze a lot of Saskatoon's that we will use for pies or topping on angel food cake, and I made 3 batches of crab apple jelly, 3 batches of cucumber relish, some dill pickles, and I still have some tomatoes that I need to can.
Everything in my garden is all dug and put away in our extra fridge and cold storage room for the winter, I still need to do some clean up in the yard and get things put away before the snow flies, but the weather has been so crappy here lately that I haven't got everything done yet, hopefully we will get some of this done Friday if the weather is half decent. Last Saturday I had some time in the morning to get my pond plants put away for the winter, so that's one less thing we have to do before winter.

"One of my crab apples trees in full bloom"
One of the chokecherry bushes, the fragrance from them is breathtaking!
One of the Saskatoon's bushes in full bloom

Our pride and joy is our pond, we did all the digging and landscaping ourselves, we raided lots of rock piles to get all the rocks, and we are thoroughly enjoying it, feeding the fish and watching them swimming around and chasing each other is so relaxing.


No comments:
Post a Comment